Updated Local Rules
Garon Park Golf Complex – LOCAL RULES
PENALTY FOR BREACH OF LOCAL RULES:
General Penalty: Match play – Loss of hole. Stroke play – Two strokes.
1. OUT OF BOUNDS (Rule 18.2) - Beyond any fence, hedge, ditch or white marker posts bordering
2. PENALTY AREAS (Rule 17) - Yellow penalty areas are denoted by yellow stakes or lines (Rule 17.1d
(1) & (2) apply). Red penalty areas are denoted by red stakes or lines (Rule 17.1d (3) apply).
NOTE: If a player does not know whether his or her ball is in the penalty area identify location, the
player may play a provisional ball under Rule 18.3, which is modified in this way:
In playing the provisional ball, the player may use the stroke-and-distance relief option (see Rule
17.1d(1), the back-on-the-line relief option (see Rule 17.1d(2)) or, if it is a red penalty area, the lateral
relief option (see Rule 17.1d(3)). If a ‘dropping-zone’ is available for this penalty area, the player may
also use that relief option.
Once the player has played a provisional ball under this Rule, they may not use any further options
under Rule 17.1 in relation to the original ball.
In deciding when that provisional ball becomes the player's ball in play or if it must or may be
abandoned, Rule 18.3c(2) and 18.3c(3) apply except that:
When Original Ball Is Found in Penalty Area Within Three-Minute Search Time The player may
choose either to:
(1) Continue to play the original ball as it lies in the penalty area, in which case the provisional
ball must not be played. All strokes with that provisional ball before it was abandoned
(including strokes made and any penalty strokes solely from playing that ball) do not count,
(2) Continue to play the provisional ball in which case the original ball must not be played.
When Original Ball Is Not Found Within Three-Minute Search Time or Is Known or Virtually Certain to
Be in Penalty Area. The provisional ball becomes the player's ball in play.
3. MOVABLE OBSTRUCTION (Rule 15.2) - 150-yard marker posts – (if moved then please replace).
4. ABNORMAL COURSE CONDITIONS (GUR, TEMPORARY WATER AND ANIMAL HOLES)
INCLUDING IMMOVABLE OBSTRUCTIONS (Rule 16.1) - Ground under Repair includes any area
encircled by a white line or marked as ‘GUR’
Immovable Obstructions includes (i) All constructed paths (ii) All permanent distance markers in the
middle of the fairways and (iii) Fixed Sprinkler Heads if they are on the line of play, within 2 clublengths
of the putting green and within 2 club lengths of the ball.
Relief is available under Rule 16.1. Find the nearest point of (complete) relief, not nearer the hole,
and drop within one club-length not nearer the hole.
5. WRONG PUTTING GREEN (Rule 13.1f) - If your ball lands on any wrong putting green mark the
nearest point of (complete) relief not nearer the hole and drop within one club-length, no nearer the
6. EMBEDDED BALL IN GENERAL AREA – FAIRWAY AND ROUGH (Rule 16.3) - If a player’s ball is
embedded in its own pitch-mark as a result of the player’s previous stroke and part of the ball is
below the level of the ground free relief is available by marking behind the ball and dropping within
one club length.
7. SUSPENSION OF PLAY DUE TO BAD WEATHER (Rule 5.7) - The signal for suspending play will be
one prolonged note of the klaxon. All players MUST discontinue play IMMEDIATELY and not resume
play until management has ordered the resumption of play. If a player fails to discontinue play
immediately, they will be disqualified unless circumstances warrant waiving the penalty.
Players are reminded that during general play, under Rule 5.7 a player may discontinue play when
they believe there is a danger from lightning and should take whatever action they consider
necessary to ensure their safety.
DISCONTINUE PLAY IMMEDIATELY- one prolonged note from the klaxon.
8. COURSE CLOSED DUE TO FOG - For ALL general play and ALL club competitions: The course
will be closed for play if management in consultation with the head greenkeeper believes there is a
danger from fog. Management will decide when it is safe to play, and no golfer is allowed on the
course until that time.
9. BUNKER RAKES - Bunker rakes MUST be left in the bunker, with the handle parallel to, but well
away from the line of play. Footprints should be raked across the line, so the sand is evenly spread.
10. GREENKEEPERS PRIORITY - Greenkeepers have priority at all times. Golfers must wait for
greenkeepers to finish their work before making a stroke.
TEMPORARY LOCAL RULES (WINTER RULES)
1. PREFERRED LIES
When Preferred Lies are in operation, a ball lying on any closely mown General Area cut to fairway
height may be lifted, without penalty, cleaned and placed within 6 inches of its original position, not
nearer the hole. Before lifting the ball, the player MUST mark its position. If the ball subsequently
moves after it is placed the ball must be played as it lies.
2. AERATION HOLES If a player’s ball lies in or touches an Aeration Hole: Ball in General Area. The
player may take relief under Rules 16.1b (Drop within one club length of the nearest point of
complete relief not nearer the hole). If the ball comes to rest in another Aeration Hole the player
may take relief again under this Local Rule.
Ball on Putting Green. The player may take relief under 16.1d (Place on the spot of the nearest point
of complete relief).
BUT interference does NOT exist if the Aeration Hole only interferes with the player’s stance, or, on
the Putting Green, on the player’s line of play.
GENERAL ETIQUETTE and BEHAVIOUR
STANDARDS OF PLAYER CONDUCT – All players are expected to play within the spirit of the game
by: (i) Acting with integrity – e.g. by following the rules, applying all penalties and being honest in all
aspects of play.
(ii) Showing consideration for others – e.g. by playing at a prompt pace of play, looking out for the
safety of others and not distracting the play of another player.
(iii) Taking good care of the golf course – e.g. by replacing divots, smoothing bunkers after use,
repairing pitch-marks made on the putting green and not causing unnecessary damage to the
(iv) Show respect and consideration for all members of staff. Members and visitors must not
reprimand staff. If a member has a complaint about a member of staff, it should be made in writing
(or via e-mail) to the General Manager.
COVID-19 RULES (CURRENTLY IN FORCE)
1. The flagstick should be left in the hole and any contact with the flagstick should avoided.
2. The flagstick may be held upright by another player using his putter or other club, but not by hand or
3. The ball is deemed ‘holed’ if any part of the ball is below the surface of the putting green, even if it is
not lodged against the flagstick.
4. Preferred lies are permitted in bunkers and scores will be acceptable for competition using this covid-
19 rule. Please note: the distance for preferred lies in the bunker is limited to 6 inches and the area
cannot be smoothed before placing.
5. Scorecards are not to be exchanged. Please select another player in your group and keep their score
on your card along with your own. Cards do not need to be signed.
6. Do not share golf clubs, golf balls or any other equipment with other players. (continued)
7. PLEASE REMEMBER TO SOCIAL DISTANCE AT ALL TIMES (2m).
8. DO NOT CONGREGATE BEFORE OR AFTER YOUR ROUND – Current rule of ‘6’ Applies.
9. ALL TEE BOOKINGS ARE TO BE MADE ONLINE – no exceptions.
10. ALL FOOD AND BEVERAGE ORDERS ARE TO BE MADE VIA THE CLUB APP – no exceptions.
11. MANAGEMENT AND STAFF DECSIONS ARE FINAL.
These Local Rules, Temporary Local Rules, Standards of Player Conduct and Covid-19 protocols are subject to
change without notice. Please visit the members page of www.garonparkgolf.co.uk for updates.
First Published - Autumn 2020.